Wednesday

Loving Pink



I work with a lot of different color combinations. One of my favorites; pink, green, black & white.  I’ve used it on this redo and this piece, plus this end table as well.  I just love how the colors complement each other, so I decided to use it again on this piece. 


If you remember, I found this piece on a recent trip to Gothic City Architectural Antiques in Buffalo.  I purchased it for a steal. Probably because there were some items that needed to be fixed on it. The drawer for starters, it was warped inside, so we needed to replace the wood.





 Then the bottom panel was pretty loose, but after further investigation I discovered it was pretty rotten, so that needed to be replaced as well.  The top was rough and needed to be puttied and sanded too.



 But after the repairs were made and the piece was primed twice, it was ready to be painted.  I hadn’t done a real full blown girly piece in awhile, so I was excited to get started. As always, I started on the bottom and worked my way up. I’d recently seen on other blogs that people were incorporating numbers into their pieces, and although they were “shabby chic” pieces, I liked the idea of adding numbers (as well as words) to my project.  I decided to go with the number 67.  Why, you ask?  Ummm…best year EVER!


I wanted to create a shadow around the outer edges of the inner circle, just to separate it from the busy background.  Once the lighter green was dry, I applied a darker shade with a paintbrush in the areas where I thought a darker shade would look best.  


While the paint was still wet, I dabbed at it with a small wet piece of a kitchen sponge.  Don’t wipe it off, rather gently sponge the paint outward till it blends with the darker color.




 I did this on the outer edges of the circle, as well as, in the middle and behind the numbers creating a 3-D effect. 

I used this same technique on the rose, on the top of the table as well. 


I worked up the legs with fine detail 


and added hot pink flower appliques to the sides.  


This was the final piece!








The next project…


 These two fabulous end tables! Fabulous? Yes, trust me, they are, or rather turn out to be pretty cool.  I did something completely different on these.  So, stay tuned for my next big adventure!












Sharing with:
It's a Hodge Podge Life                   Truly Lovely                          It's So Very Cheri
Finding Fabulous                             Petals to Picots                     Create With Joy
Miss Mustard Seed                         My Romantic Home              Oh So She Says
PJH Designs                                   Tatertots and Jello                  Domestically Speaking
Joyful Stamper                                Craft-O-Maniac
Night Owl Crafting                          Mad Skills Party
The Answer Is Chocolate                Pinkapotamus
Ladybird Ln.                                   Boogie Board Cottage
Happy Hour Friday                         DIY Home Sweet Home
Becoming Martha                           Keep It Simple


16 comments:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

You do such original work, this one is great as usual!

Kirstin said...

Gorgeous, I love the colors!

decorayadora said...

Guau is so original and wonderful work . I love your blog
Angelica

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!!! I love the colors you used! It's fabulous!!!

T'onna @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2013/01/submarine-sunday-15.html

Merry said...

So wonderful...love all the designs on the table and the colour combo is terrific.

Little Miss Maggie said...

What adorable tables. Love the colors.

Mariel said...

So cute! I would love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Linda Leyble said...

Hey Mary - I love, love, love what you did to that table. You are giving MacKenzie Childs a run for their money!! How much fun is that table - gorgeous!

I have to do more of that fun stuff - I have only done two projects like that. One was for a little girl's desk - came out great (but I don't have any decent pictures...sad to say - my pre-blogging days!!)

The other one - I may put up for sale. It's a small table - with a blackboard top and it's done in metallic fuschia and orange - and a few cobalt accents (some lining in that color).

Great job - I am a new fan. Let's stay in touch with each other. I am in NY - Long Island. What county are you in?

Linda

http://www.thecolorfulbee.com

foreverdecorating said...

Shockingly Stunning! So cool

Bliss said...

Wow, I'm pinning that cute little thing! I painted a toilet plunger (don't laugh) one time with different designs and it took forever and it was just one legs worth of your table.

Bliss

Vintage Paint and more... said...

Absolutely adorable-I love it. I love detail painting like this and I love to do it but don't get much of a chance to do so. Found younthrough POPP party. Am now following...

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

That is so cute! Love the color combo. I'm featuring it in the PoPP Spotlight this week. Thanks for joining the party.

Unknown said...

I just love your happy little table and all it's beautiful colors... I've been trying to get myself back into paint mode since my hubby was diagnosed with cancer... having a hard time with that lately.

You've definately lit a little spark of creativity within me!

Unknown said...

I just love your happy little table and all it's beautiful colors...

Hospitality design firms

Unknown said...

Extrodinary work! !!!

Sara Hospitality said...

That is so cute! Love the color combo.Check Hotel furniture casegoods design