Monday

How About a Game of Checkers?

We found this end table during a recent Thrift Store run.  It needed minimal prep, which I love, although it did need a good washing. It looked as if someone had left newspaper on the top, it had gotten wet and fused to the wood, but it was nothing that a little warm water, a scrubby and some elbow grease couldn’t cure!


Once that was all cleaned off, we sanded it just to scuff up the old polyurethane and then primed it with 2 coats of primer.

I decided I wanted to make this a gaming table, so I decided to build the design around the checkerboard in the center of the table.  I first measured out the square and laid down the faux to match the faux on the legs and the harlequins on the sides. Then I offset it with the cranberry checks.


Then we replaced the dowdy wooden handle with a vintage looking handle to coordinate with the earthy colors of the piece. As always I purchased it at Hobby Lobby ½ off! It only cost $2.00.

I also took the swirly designs from the back and brought them into the flowers.




Here is the final product! I decided to go with more muted tones, which as you know, is different then what I usually do, but I’m liking it!






Here are some pieces that we were lucky to find at the Thrift store this weekend, they all totaled $30! What a score! Look for them in the upcoming weeks.  


We have a huge show December 3 & 4, Plowshares! We are doing some demo pieces for a shop in the Adirondacks (keep your fingers crossed-more info to come on that) and we have many custom orders coming up for the holidays….so life is supercrazybusy, which is why this blog is so short-sorry! But please know A LOT OF STUFF IS COMING!

So, have you done any furniture redo's recently? If so, please share them with me! I love being inspired by you! Post them on my Face Book page! Or if you're a Pinterest addict fan like me, come find me there too! I'm trying to build a really big "painted furniture" page and love to have new additions/followers/ideas/pins!

Happy Painting!

Mary

Sharing this post with my blog friends on my "where we party page"

22 comments:

Lucydesignsart.com said...

love this MM!...diggin the treatment on the legs and the colors

Sally said...

Your game table is Amazing! Your family will have a lot of fun with it.

Moois van mie said...

great ! ( as usual )

Mary Mollica, Owner & Artist of The Decorative Paintbrush said...

Thanks so much ladies for all your kind words project after project! Much Love!

Mandy said...

Amazing paint job! I'd love it if you shared this at my link party that started today at Project Queen! www.projectqueen.org
I'm a new follower.

memakingdo said...

Oh wow you did an amzing job on this piece. I wish I could paint like that! I featured this at So Very Creative.
http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2011/11/checker-table.html

Our Hopeful Home said...

Phenomenal! That table is awesome, you're so talented! And the thrift store finds are icing on the cake. You should totally link up over at my Tuesday's Club G.W. {Goodwill} with Charm Bracelet Diva party going on now!

xoxo
Kathleen

Be Colorful Coastal said...

In the words of Steve Jobs "Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow"

That is truly amazing. You have such a flair for detail. This is my favorite piece you have done. I might say that every time but I really mean it. I love the colors. The swirls on the flowers, the ring of black and white checks around the checkerboard and the frame of polka dots. I am sooooooooo inspired. Love love love.
Pam

Pam said...

Amazing...I love it. Beautiful, great job.

ibshell said...

This is sincerely ga-ga gorgeous! you all are SO AMAZING!! Love it. *drool*...eh-hem. Sorry ;)

Cassie Bustamante said...

wonderful work! i love the warm colors on this one!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Absolutely darling!! What a beautiful job you did on this!! Sharing it on fb- thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

PJH Designs said...

I just love it! Great job I'm a new follower.

Heidi said...

Nice re-do! Great painting!

Mandy said...

Hi Mary - I wanted to let you know that I will be featuring your Game Table at the #7 Linky Party Highlights tomorrow evening (Monday) at Project Queen. Thanks so much for linking up and I hope you do so again!
www.projectqueen.org

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Featured you again. You blow me away.
Pam

vikki said...

That is so cute. I need to steal your idea. Thanks for the tut.

Unknown said...

I just saw this table above and had to come to your site to see it. You do great work !!
I do know where Liverpool is as I made the trek from Oswego to Syracuse all through my growing up years. Now the kids go to Europe !!
Is that hot dog place still there ? Can't think of it's name as it has been awhile.
You have a great blog and much talent !

Megan Gunyan said...

WOW! Is this all hand painted?? How impressive! It turned out fantastic--I love the swirly flowers and embellishments!

Megan Gunyan said...

This was so cute, I had to give it a feature!

Anonymous said...

I love this! I want to do this to an old, run down table. It's stuff like this that make me feel truly happy inside.

Scarlet said...

It looked promising...I wanted to *love* it...but I can't. I think the notes of bright blue are jarring & don't complement anything. Those *zebra* stripes near the bottom of the legs...meh. And OMG those beautiful barley twists look like someone bled to death all over them! Far too much *faux* going on there; if it were only in the natural depths of the legs it would be fine, but all over them...no. I'm sure *someone* loved it enough to take home at whatever the asking price, though. It just wouldn't have been me without a discount for the time & paint it would take me to play down the elements I couldn't love or even like enough to want to live with, sorry. The rest of it was really well done, especially the harlequin pattern.