Wednesday

A Hand Painted Rocking Chair

When I was a little girl I had a very small rocking chair that had a tiny music box on the back.  Every night when I would get out of the tub my mother would wrap me in a big towel, twist the music box on the back and I would rock to Frère Jacques until I was dry. 

It was the first thing I thought of when I saw these chairs from Judy. She had saved them from when her kids where little (the smaller one was actually her husband’s). She wanted them re-painted to match her new grandchildren’s bedrooms.


The smaller one had a music box on it too, but it had long stopped working, so it had to be removed. We patched the holes, sanded some chipping and primed the entire piece.


She wanted to have it match the wallpaper border that they were hanging in the room.  I loved the monkey, so I chose him for the focal point. I used transfer paper to lay down a basic outline then painted it in with the colors that matched the border.


Then I put the funky alligator on the back.


I also added 3 circle appliqués to the head rest just to bring in some color.


Then tricked out the runners with checks and polka dots.



On the next chair we had to remove an old laminated plastic cover that had been tacked on with thumb tacks. Then we primed it. 

Painting the tiny rings took FOREVER….ARGH!!!!! I was going to rip my hair out! Especially with navy blue on white! I left the seat plain because she was making a cushion and pillow for the back of the chair out of fabric that matched the paint.




Well, besides these custom orders we were busy getting ready for Plowshares, which was amazing by the way! Not only did we see great (old) friends but made some new ones as well! Plus, we sold a lot of "stuff" and came away with even more custom orders!




But what really has been mind blowing is our online store! Our Etsy store has been off the charts! If you've never checked out our store, please do so!  About a month ago I said to Maggie, "I might take the jewelry boxes out of the shop, because I'm not sure they're selling as good as I'd hoped."  All of a sudden, as if someone had heard me, orders came pouring in! I just mailed out the last one yesterday, just in time for Christmas!-FEW!






As I wrap up 2011, I want to thank you so much for all your support this past year! For reading this blog, for your wonderful comments (you always give this chic a much needed ego boost!) and especially for inspiring me! I follow many of you and find great inspiration on your blogs as well! Have a fantastic holiday and here’s to a rocking, prosperous, CREATIVE, New Year! Oh yeah, that's a wine glass clinging in the back ground-cheers-baby!









Sharing with my many friends on my party page!


5 comments:

Marti said...

I love your chair! I have one just like the first picture that I am saving - just in case.

Giggles said...

The rockers look awesome! I know what you mean about the rungs....I did a whole post about painting mine silver...I kept missing spots...no matter how I turned it, there were still missed bits...it was so frustrating.
Love your painted treasures...Merry Christmas to you too!! I will clink my glass here!! lol

Hugs Giggles

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Love the chairs and the children will too! Congratulations on the etsy sales, your stuff is very original, I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love your art!
Bright colors and very nice design!
I love your blog!
Kissies

lisonperry said...

Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me. Wooden Train Set