Wednesday

A New Look for Adirondack Style

I have the good fortune of living just about an hour and a half from one of the most amazing places on Earth. I have been drawn to the Adirondacks for decades, and never grow tired of its splendor.  Every season brings new delight, and breathtaking scenery, that just astounds me.  Its sights and smells are unique, and the people are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.  Every year my family and I travel to the Adirondacks for a family vacation.  It started out as tenting, but then one day I said, "My body is to old for this. I'm an adult, and I want a bed!" So, now we rent a cabin, and the experiance is ten times better!

When it came time to decorate my bedroom, it was just an obvious choice as to what I would decorate it with. Yep, you guessed it, an Adirondack theme.  I have quilts on the bed, which have bears, paw prints, evergreens, and maps.  There are moose, and fish, even a piece of fence for a head board.  We brought in tree limbs (white spruce), adhered them to the ceiling (with fishing line) and adorned them with fake leaves. It gave us the impression of sleeping outside, just in the comfort of our own bed.

Originally, I had picked this piece up to become and end table in my room.  I even started decorating it to match, but when I was done I thought, I can't keep this in my room, who will ever see it, or enjoy it, besides me?  So, I decided to sell it. I was hoping someone else would love "The Adirondacks" as much as I did and enjoy having it in their home.
Just a side note; I am always scouring the "OOPS" rack at any paint store/home improvement center we enter into.  I have found some great colors, that were someone else's mistake, but my gain.  The green in this project was actually just $.50!  Usually, a quart of paint sells for around $10-13 (I usually buy name brand paints, because it makes the piece and my work look better), and I got this can for just .50 cents!  I also, picked up 3 other colors that day, for .25 cents a piece! I was so excited! My daughter thought I'd lost my mind when I came home and told her about it.  She said, "Mom, get a grip! It's just paint. Who cares!" Teenagers.  If it had been a sale at Hollisters, she would have been the one screaming!  Sigh...That's why I blog, hopefully someone else will care! 

4 comments:

RASJ said...

This is an amazing transformation! Absolutely incredible. It is hard to even imagine that it is the same table! I hope that you sell it and make a killing. :-)

ger chouinard said...

Hi Mary! Found you on facebook because of ARTchix Studio ... LOVE your work, LOVE Fran's bench, and so many other of your pieces! Heading over to your Etsy store now ...

Mary Mollica, Owner & Artist of The Decorative Paintbrush said...

Hi Ger-I'm so glad you found me! I try to post a new piece every couple weeks, so please check back! Thanks for reading!

And thanks Renee for your support!

Cheeka said...

I also came here because of the link from artchix - what great work you do! I love it! And I laughed out loud at your daughter's comment re the cheap paint - it's nice to have someone else to share the triumphs with, right? We completely understand!