Sunday

Sing Out Loud

This was one of the first tables I ever did. It was one of the reasons I started The Decorative Paintbrush. Looking back on it now, it’s amazing to me how much my “style” has changed. It’s not that I didn’t like the first design; I just felt it never matched the fun curves of the table. Even after it was finished (the first time) I always knew I would repaint it at some point. That’s the great thing about paint, especially for a fickle girl like me; you can always change your mind.

So, I sanded it down, primed it and drew out my idea. I had seen a blue on blue leopard print fabric while searching for fabric, for another chair and knew that I wanted to use it in my next piece. Since I had just bought the Blue Lapis & Twilight Blue for the harlequin pattern in the nightstand it was pretty much a done deal.

I had also just purchased two other colors on a daily trip to our local paint store http://www.purcellpaints.com/  Olive Tree & Golden Delicious and felt they would make a great addition to the blue.

So, on and on I went, into the center, creating different patterns, meshing things together and then, I kind of hit a road block? Brain Fart…if you will. I just stood there looking at a white circle. When this happens I usually draw things out on paper. It gives me a visual, something to look at, yet I’m not committed. I drew out four different center ideas and played with them a bit. As you can see from the final product I chose the bird. (It reminds me of my girls who despite not being able to carry a tune, strap on an IPod and sing at the top of their lungs, no matter who’s listening, which I love about them).

I also added a finial and small circle plaque to the center of the intersection at the bottom. It was pretty plain before that and I felt adding the finial would give it some funk. I painted the plaque first, screwed in the finial, then Gorilla Glued the entire center piece to the middle. It really pulled the top and bottom together.

So, this piece was free (it was a side of the road find), we paid $.79 for the plaque and $2.79 for the finial. The paint was probably about $3.00-$4.00, because again I buy small pints and reuse colors as often as possible. Total cost is under $8.00. How awesome is that!










Colors used:

Benjamin Moore:

390-Olive Tree
392-Golden Delicious
2067-40 Blue Lapis
2067-30 Twilight Blue
2077-10 Magenta
White Dove
Valspar Black


Happy Painting!

Mary

7 comments:

Debra@Dejarenew.blogspot.com said...

Love it! You are so talented. The way you mix colors and texture and designs together makes me drool lol!. Fabulous.

Deb
http://dejarenew.blogspot.com

Pam said...

Another colorful and fantastic paint project.

Be Colorful Coastal said...

INSPIRED!
That blue on blue leopard print if freaking sweet and I love love love that finial piece you added. It totally takes the piece to another level.

So glad I have you in my reader line up. :)
xoxo,
P @ Becolorful ( since there are so many Pams out here.)

Mary said...

I love it! Thank you linking up to Masterpiece Monday! Have a great week, Mary :O)

Jeanne said...

I just have to say - that is very WOW.

Moois van mie said...

I really like your work! That's why I putted your blog in the picture : http://mooisvanme.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-in-de-kijker-veel-kleurtjes-en.html

You deserve a bit of extra attention !

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

O my gosh I just LOVE everything you do! LOVE LOVE LOVE. Sorry, have no other words...