Sunday

Comic Inspired Coffee Tables



As most of you know, I have a certain way of doing things, a certain style, as all artists do.  But sometimes you get in a rut . Doing the same things, over and over.  During the past 4 months I must say, I have hit that wall.  I love my Etsy store, I do, and it is a great source of income for my family BUT I tend to do, the same things over and over.  And with wedding season in full swing people are ordering these jewelry boxes constantly.  







And although miniature pieces of art in their own right, they tend to be more design driven by the customer.

Again, I am not complaining, okay maybe....just...whining a bit...BUT only because I miss doing fun and funky pieces.  Larger pieces, pieces where there are no restrictions, where I can just let the piece of furniture speak to me and come alive with color!!!!  YES, I just went there.  

When Maggie first brought these tables home (a big score from the side of the road)  I knew immediately what I wanted to do with them.  




I am a huge fan of pop art, especially the art of Roy Lichtenstein.  I've always wanted to do one of his pieces on my furniture and I thought these matching end tables would be the perfect canvas!

So, I Googled a variety of pictures, posters, items he had had done, and came up with these two images.



Now, although I can draw, it is not my strongest creative quality, plus, don't tell anyone, but I can be a bit impatient and take the easy way, I mean quickest way, out sometimes.  
So, I printed these images out onto paper,


Then used a projector to trace them onto the newly primed surface (another great "cheat" tool for us lazy impatient people).



created a big coloring page, almost like when we were little, but instead of Crayola Crayons, I used  Benjamin Moore Paints 
(Red 2000-10, Admiral Blue 2065-10 and Bold Yellow 336).

The final product....





I was so excited when they sold at The Syracuse Arts & Crafts Festival!  The customer who purchased them was so excited himself which made me even more excited, which...well you get the gist.  He said he just had to have them. YEAH!  I love when someone is excited to get one of my pieces-as weird as it sounds I'm happy knowing it's going to a good home! Hahaha!

Lots more projects coming down the pipe, so stay tuned!  In the mean time catch us on FaceBook, or Pinterest!  Tootles!


Sharing with my friends at...


2 comments:

Lucydesignsart.com said...

Mary, Mary, Mary! I LOVE them, they turned out so great and I'm loving the new look on the blog...need to freshen mine up too!

Unknown said...

Florists bring this beauty in our lives. From wedding planners to mourners, everyone needs flowers. one such Florists Ocean County has placed smile with his flowers on many faces